From time to time, all of us suffer from sorrow and anxiety. However, if this sorrow and anxiety do not leave us in one or two weeks and it begins to affect our way of life, then it is classed as depression.
Causes of Depression
- Sometimes, it is due to the presence of sorrow or despair for some time after the occurrence of certain matters of life which consist of difficult events. For instance, the death of a close relative, the occurrence of divorce, loss of a job, etc.
- Physical illnesses, e.g. cancer, heart diseases, or such an illness which is chronic like joint pain or breathing issues.
- Some people are at a greater risk of suffering from depression. This can also be due to the personality of a person or childhood events and experiences.
- Women have a greater chance of suffering from depression as compared to men.
Signs and symptoms of Depression
It is not necessary for all these symptoms to be found in every patient. However, if any patient has any four of these symptoms, then he is suffering from depression.
- Remaining sorrowful and distressed.
- Being uninterested in doing things that one previously enjoyed.
- Feeling physical fatigue and weakness.
- Not being able to focus on daily activities.
- Considering oneself to be inferior to others or a decrease in self-confidence.
- Considering oneself to be useless and blaming oneself for minor and insignificant matters of the past.
- Losing hope in the future.
- Disturbed sleep.
- Not feeling hungry.
- Having thoughts of suicide or attempting suicide.
Sometimes a person suffers from major depression that cannot be cured without treatment. Just as patients who suffer from other illnesses are deserving of sympathy and treatment, likewise, these patients are also deserving of help instead of being ridiculed and criticized.
If you get in touch with an expert psychiatrist, then medicines will prove to be very helpful for some period of time. Besides this, you can help yourself by not keeping the state of your emotions a secret.
- If you have heard any bad piece of news or something bad happens, share it with a close and reliable friend.
- The burden of the heart is lightened by repeatedly mentioning what you have faced, crying over it, speaking about it, and sharing the feelings that you are experiencing as a result of grief.
- Doing physical work, walking, and exercising leads to betterment in health and quality of sleep. Stay busy, even if it is in household chores.
- Read good books (Note: Reading the following booklets authored by Ameer-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat will prove to be beneficial Cure for anger, Suicide is not the answer, Satanic whispers and cures for them).
- Consume good foods. Fresh fruits and vegetables replenish vitamin deficiency.
- Avoid alcohol (as this is Haraam). Some people assume that depression reduces by drinking alcohol, however, in reality, the severity of depression increases with alcohol consumption.
- If you know the cause of your own depression, write it down and reflect on how to resolve it, i.e. write the cure as well.
- Do not lose hope; remind yourself that the problems you are facing have been experienced by others as well. By doing so, your depression will end or lessen, even if you do not feel it straight away.
May Allah Almighty through His bounty and generosity, protect us from depression and other illnesses. اٰمِیْن بِجَاہِ النَّبِیِّ الْاَمِیْن صلَّی اللہ علیہ واٰلہٖ وسلَّم
Direct your face towards the sun of success
All the shadows of failure will remain behind
Two home-based treatments of depression
- Take 25g each of cucumber seeds, bottle gourd seeds, melon seeds, and watermelon seeds, and 60g each of poppy and coriander seeds. Mix all the ingredients and preserve them. At night, add one spoon to a glass of milk and drink it. (Duration until one gains cure)
- Thoroughly clean 50g each of pistachios, almonds, bottle gourd seeds, lettuce seeds, and poppy seeds, and then grind them. About 1 to 1 and a half hour before going to bed, take two spoons of it and consume it with milk.
Spiritual cure for depression
In the two Sunnahs of Fajr and the Sunnahs after the Farz Salahs of Zuhr, Maghrib and Isha, recite the last six Surahs of the Quran after Surah Fatihah in the following manner: Recite Surah Al-Kafiroon, Surah Al-Nasr and Surah Lahab in the first Rak’at and Surah Al-Ikhlas, Surah Al-Falaq and Surah Al-Naas in the second Rak’at. Read بِسْمِ اللہِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّ حِیْم at the beginning of each Surah. (Scorpion On A Frog, p. 27 summarised) (Duration until one gains cure)